Read a Book During Your Coffee Break
We’ve all heard the saying that “Leaders are readers.” If you’re constantly pouring out what you know without taking in new material, your well of knowledge will eventually run dry. It’s not hard to convince people they should read more books; the challenge is finding the time.
The folks at Ministry Library have created a great solution to this dilemma.
- They select books on leadership, communication, church growth, and more, then summarize them in 5-10 minute videos.
- They cover the key components of each book in a fun, clever way that keeps your attention and helps you glean from the author’s main points.
- Each video includes a downloadable handout you can use to document the next steps you decide to take based on what you’re learning from the book. They’ve also added short teaching videos from ministry leaders on a variety of topics relevant to leading a growing church.
As helpful as those two elements are, my favorite feature is the workshop. This is where you can really see information move to transformation within your team. The workshops are handouts with discussion questions for you to use with your staff.
Here’s how it works:
- Watch the video with your staff
- Hand out the workshop materials
- Go through the questions as a team
This part will require more time, but it will absolutely be worth the effort. Take 20-30 minutes out of a weekly staff meeting to discuss the workshop questions.
The beauty of the workshops is that you’ll get to learn together. You’ll hear observations from your staff that you wouldn’t otherwise get out of them. They’ll learn from the summary of the book. You’ll get to collaborate with your staff to identify and develop next steps to apply the principles from the book to your church. As a project manager, I love that they included a place for due dates on the workshop handouts. Decide what action to take, set a due date, assign ownership of the task, and follow-up to make sure it was completed on time. That process will help your team progress and improve at your church.
Ministry Library is a subscription service for just $49 per month. Oh, and you can try it out for only $1 for a week just to see if it’s a good fit for you and your team. Check it out and see how Ministry Library can help you develop yourself and your team.
**This post contains affiliate links. That means if you purchase the product using the links above, I will receive an “affiliate commission.” I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” Regardless of whether I receive a commission, I only recommend products or services I believe would be a good fit for my readers.**